What is Process Theology?

The question was asked: What is Process Theology? That is an important question, one that I'll be exploring as I push through Philip Clayton's Adventures in the Spirit.

To give a quick overview, Process Theology is a theological program that is rooted in the thought of Alfred North Whitehead and Charles Hartshorne. It's more recent exemplars have been John B. Cobb, Clark Williamson, David Griffin, among others. I'll note that Williamson and Griffin are both Disciples of Christ theologians. It is a very philosophically rooted theology, which assumes that God and creation are still in process. It is a liberal revision of theology, one that seeks to make the Christian faith more coherent to the modern age. Here is a definition of Process Thought, the foundation upon which Process Theology is built.

Process metaphysics, in general, seeks to elucidate the developmental nature of reality, emphasizing becoming rather than static existence or being. It also stresses the inter-relatedness of all entities. Process describes reality as ultimately made up of experiential events rather than enduring inert substances.

The particular character of every event, and consequently the world, is the result of a selective process where the relevant past is creatively brought together to become that new event. Reality is conceived as a process of creative advance in which many past events are integrated in the events of the present, and in turn are taken up by future events. The universe proceeds as "the many become one, and are increased by one" in a sequence of integrations at every level and moment of existence. Process thought thus replaces the traditional Western "substance metaphysic" with an "event metaphysic."

Terms that further characterize process thought are inter-relatedness, unity-in-diversity, non-dualism, panentheism, mutual transformation, person-in-community, and panexperientialism.

Concepts to watch for are panentheism and dipolar theism, among others. I will say that while I find aspects of Process Theology attractive, I've also found it difficult to understand and use theologically. It is future oriented and it assumes that God is active, which I like, but I find it rather too philosophical. That might be my own issue, of course.


Here is a link to the Center for Process Studies -- for more information.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am the alpha and the omega.

Emet (אמת), literally "truth", one of the names of God in Judaism, has been interpreted as consisting of the first, middle and final letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

This tells me that God (was) at the end of time. Is he stuck there, or does he choose not to "back up'? This is pretty interesting. I assume he looked back when he got to the end and siad "this is good".

David Mc
John said…
When God pronounced creation and each of its components good, God saw it from the beginning and from the end.

John
Steve said…
Process has no already conceived "end." That's why it's called Process. One of the advantages of Process is that it answers the theodicy problem: It isn't that God won't, it's that God can't. (Read "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People", here.) Now, I know to suggest that God "can't" will bring out the fundamentalism in the best of liberals, but I much prefer it to the fatalism of John's understanding. I don't think God is running a movie and we're just playing our foreordained parts, no matter how “good” it is supposed to be.
John said…
I don't see myself as a fatalist. While I think God knows how things will work out, I don't see that as a foreordained script. It's just that God has seen the choices we will make and how they will tun out.

I am also not bound to the notion that God and history, i.e., future history cannot change and evolve in response to surprises from us and from God. I am still coming to grips with this. But I have reached the position that God is dynamic and not static. Beyond that I am still praying. I think I am going to like this process theology - regardless of its unorthodoxy.

John
Steven Kindle said…
John, I've always enjoyed your comments and your flexibility.

Welcome to the world of Process,
and keep praying!

Steve
John said…
Steve Kindle,

The reason I have concluded that God is dynamic and not static is that I understand that God's creation, as an expression of God's nature, is not static but dynamic. Moreover, one of the core underlying principles of creation is the "uncertainty principle". I am n physicist but I conceive of this notion as asserting that the electron, and other smaller components of matter, can never be located at a specific place in space and time - they are always moving around. So that all that we see visually or feel with our hands is at its core moving and yet still stable enough that it can be seen and held.

So because God created of the universe in a constant state of movement, it only seems logical (if logic is ever an appropriate tool to use in the analysis of God) to assume that God is likewise constantly moving - and dynamic.

Thanks Steve. And I admire your courage and you passion for justice.

John
John
Anonymous said…
I read sea as the chaos of our existance. From Suzanne-

He said all men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them
But he himself was broken
Long before the sky would open
Forsaken, almost human
He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone

And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe youll trust him
For hes touched your perfect body with his mind...

Leonard Chohen

David Mc

Popular Posts