All should enjoy December's diverse holidays - The Oakland Press Opinion

My essay responding to the ongoing "debate" or "controversy" over the use of "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" appears today in the Oakland Press.

GUEST: All should enjoy December's diverse holidays - The Oakland Press Opinion: The best place for news in and around Oakland County

Posted using ShareThis

I shared this with the community because I've become deeply concerned about the reactionary nature of this debate. Demanding that one be greeted at Walmart with a Merry Christmas is not, in my view, a good way to put Christ back into Christmas. Whether or not the use of "Happy Holidays" is a sign of political correctness, is really beside the point. The point is whether this offers a true witness to the one we welcome at Christmas. I have shared my opinion with the community as a way of stimulating a broader conversation about the way we present ourselves to the broader community.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Christ is already in Christams...for Christ's sake. Um, sorry, for our sake. David Mc
Allan R. Bevere said…
Bob, I very much agree with your article except to add that as we recognize the great diversity of this season, no one should be muzzled not to wish a Merry Christmas either. That is a bad as insisting upon it. Neither should one should be muzzled not to wish a happy Hanukah. If a Jewish store clerk wished me a happy Hanukah, I would return with a like greeting.

Popular Posts